“I wonder what it’s like to move to an island…”
We’ll be dropping a new episode every Friday so subscribe on your favourite podcast app! ~
Join Rachael Krinks and guests from Australia and around the world who have started new lives on islands. We talk to ordinary folk who decided to start a new life living on an island, as well as bloggers, academics and other experts on all things island … we’ll help you figure out if island life is for you and how to make the shift successful. If you want to start a new life living on an island, this podcast is for you.
- EP 1 Friday 18th September: Bernard Salt, on why islands are likely to be post virus winners in the property sector, and Bernard’s pick of the best Australian islands on which to start a new life.
- EP 2 Friday 25th September: Phil Hayward, an island, coastal and aquatic researcher and editor of Shima, the international journal of research into island cultures, on the myth of the ideal island, whether paradise is something we can buy or rent or just an idea and his fascination with mermaids.
- EP 3 Friday 2nd October 2020: Karen Burns, Chief Talent Officer, The Island Institute, Maine, USA, who moved to an island at the age of 23 to start a new life and who has flourished there. So do you have the right stuff to start a new life living on an island? Listen to Karen and find out!
- EP 4 Friday 9th October 2020: Dan Prescher, Senior Editor International Living, on the best islands around the world on which to start a new life.
- EP 5 Friday 16th October 2020: Jacqueline Schofield, Host of popular blog Women Who Live on Rocks, on how she moved from Canada to start a new life living on Grand Cayman Island, with one suitcase and a bike to follow. We talk about the character traits that contribute to a successful shift to island life.
- EP 6 Friday 23rd October 2020: Anne Tillig, Owner of Elizabeth Island, on how she and her husband bought an island off the coast of Melbourne and the challenges of building her dream home on the island after her husband passed away.
- EP 7 Friday 30th October 2020: Richard VanHoff, of Private Islands Online Australia, a specialist in selling islands, on the 5 affordable islands you can buy right now, and how to buy an island.
- EP 8 Friday 6 November 2020: JoAnne Saunders, a social worker from Baltimore, USA, and writer on the blog Women Who Live on Rocks, on kissing life in Baltimore goodbye and starting a new life in the Virgin Islands, arriving with nothing but four suitcases of summer clothes and a tote bag full of swimsuits.
- EP 9 Friday 13 November 2020 – Double Episode: Guest 1 – Deb Murphy, a Psychologist who moved to Coochiemudlo Island (known as ‘Coochie’) from the Gold Coast 2 years ago with her partner Kev and three kids. You’ll learn why plus why Deb’s finding island life a safer and easier place to be a parent. Guest 2 – Peter Verdon, ‘Verdo’ to his mates, shares his experiences starting a new life on an island in Spain, and then Fiji, and now Coochiemudlo Island where he is Skipper of the barge.
- EP 10 Friday 20 November 2020: Laura Payano, who moved from an island in the Caribbean to start a new life on Coochiemudlo Island, and found love in the unlikeliest place!
LAUNCHING 18TH SEPTEMBER 2020!
Redland City Council is proud to provide funding for the Start a New Life Living on an Island Podcast as part of the COVID-19 Relief and Recovery Grants Program to assist the Redlands Coast Community.