“I wonder what it’s like to move to an island…”
Join CIN Publisher Rachael Krinks and guests from Australia and around the world who have started new lives on islands. We talk to ordinary folk who decided to start a new life living on an island, as well as bloggers, academics and other experts on all things island … we’ll help you figure out if island life is for you and how to make the shift successful. If you want to start a new life living on an island, this podcast is for you.
Series 1 Episode Topics & Guests
- Episode 0: Your Introduction to Escaping to an Island
- Episode 1: Bernard Salt on why islands are likely to be post virus winners in the property sector, and Bernard’s pick of the best Australian islands on which to start a new life –
- Episode 2: Phil Hayward an island, coastal and aquatic researcher and editor of Shima, the international journal of research into island cultures, on the myth of the ideal island, whether paradise is something we can buy or rent or just an idea and his fascination with mermaids.
- Episode 3: Karen Burns Chief Talent Officer, The Island Institute, Maine, USA, who moved to an island at the age of 23 to start a new life and who has flourished there. So do you have the right stuff to start a new life living on an island? Listen to Karen and find out!
- Episode 4: Dan Prescher Senior Editor International Living, on the best islands around the world on which to start a new life.
- Episode 5: Jacqueline Schofield Host of popular blog Women Who Live on Rocks, on how she moved from Canada to start a new life living on Grand Cayman Island, with one suitcase and a bike to follow. We talk about the character traits that contribute to a successful shift to island life –
- SPECIAL EPISODE: Being Sea-Soothed, for RUOK Day, with Rachael Krinks
- SPECIAL EPISODE: Laura Payano Coochiemudlo Island, talks about what it is about being embedded in nature on an island that soothes the soul and improves our well-being.
- Episode 6: Richard VanHoff of Private Islands Online Australia, a specialist in selling islands, on the 5 affordable islands you can buy right now, and how to buy an island.
- Episode 7: JoAnne Saunders a social worker from Baltimore, USA, and writer on the blog Women Who Live on Rocks, on kissing life in Baltimore goodbye and starting a new life in the Virgin Islands, arriving with nothing but four suitcases of summer clothes and a tote bag full of swimsuits!
- Episode 8: DOUBLE EPISODE: Guest 1 – Deb Murphy, a Psychologist who moved to Coochiemudlo Island (known as ‘Coochie’) from the Gold Coast 2 years ago with her partner Kev and three kids. You’ll learn why plus why Deb’s finding island life a safer and easier place to be a parent. Guest 2 – Peter Verdon, ‘Verdo’ to his mates, shares his experiences starting a new life on an island in Spain, and then Fiji, and now Coochiemudlo Island where he is Skipper of the barge.
- Episode 9: Laura Payano who moved from an island in the Caribbean to start a new life on Coochiemudlo Island, and found love in the unlikeliest place!
- Episode 10 DOUBLE EPISODE: Guest 1 – Anne Tillig, Owner of Elizabeth Island, on how she and her husband bought an island off the coast of Melbourne and the challenges of building her dream home on the island after her husband passed away. And! Guest 2 – Bernard Salt AM, on the great Australian land grab, which under the radar Australian island is on his bucket list to visit now he’s out of lockdown, and what hostile force landed on what little speck of an island and could have changed Australian history forever? You’ll have to listen to find out!
Subscribe on your favourite podcast app! ~
Liked it? Take a second to support us on Patreon!